R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team fantom racing
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 05:28 PM
bertrandsv87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
So had a chance to do some more testing on the V3 21.5 and honestly, move along, if you are considering it, don't. Good top end, numbers on the dyno are good, good low stator resistance, strong rotor, but on the track, yeah the top speed is there but just no bottom end, no urgency out of the corners, it feels, well, soft. A shame really, but it is what it is.
Ok if you feel the motor is soft at the bottom, you should try some esc tricks, like more punch/lower drive frequency, in addition to increasing throttle expo to +60% or more/acceleration up to 100%(futaba), just so you can get the desired bottom end with potentially more top end. Nick Adams' tests did show a bit of a delay in acceleration in the fantom v2 motors vs the R1 wurks motors, but it was only about 0.1sec, which can be due to esc settings/radio settings ,etc, unless you already did all of the above to no avail...
I personally always use my best esc/radio settings with both my fr1 v1 17.5t and 25.5t v2 motors. They perform nicely after that, but do feel on the soft side with neutral settings...
Ps: I also found out that my 17.5 tc4 had been a bit overshimmed. Now I switched to ceramic bearings(unshielded), and shimmed on the loose side of things. It should be a rocket now...lol...