R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trying to decide on which 2wd buggy mod motor?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 AM
MarkA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

First, in a mod class, it's often better over the long haul to run the motor you will eventually need, i.e. a 6.5 for this class on carpet/turf or an 8.5 for dirt tuned down as much as possible than to run a "training wheels" type of motor. A 6.5 with the punch on your ESC at 1 and throttle epa on your at 80% will be closer in terms of feel to what you'll need to learn to run with eventually than a 10.5 at full power.

As far as types of mod motors and how they feel, a thought to remember is that the less-good stock motor cans/designs make good mod ones and vice versa. Motors that you can safety say were designed as mods first will generally deliver the best feel in the mod turn ranges. Of the 6.5 motors I've ran, the Reedy M3, Muchmore ZX V2, HW V10 G2 and Orion VST2 are tangibly smoother at the same turn range with the same ESC settings than, for example, a Shurrspeed mod or, the worst mods I've ever ran in feel terms, anything from Trinity.

You also generally don't need to do much motor tuning or use extraordinary rotor setups, etc. in mod either as the motors typically come setup in their default configurations for what they will be used for, i.e. most 6.5-8.5 motors come the way you'd want to run them in a 2w buggy, most 4.5 motors are setup for a mod touring car and so on.