R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM
silden
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
SRG-HR is fragile too. think they make more money off the cases than the servo. so no incentive to formulate a new plastic

do you use that bellcrank system on your yokomo? i noticed today VBC has a car with near same system. what does it do for today's 12ths cars?

sorta curious and amazed by it, along with how what was used near 40 years ago has returned. i remember when racers dumped it to mount steering servos like CRC shows on their cars now. i see alot of stuff done years ago being rediscovered or re-intro'd, but lame when touted as new. like the step up nose plates now to reduce scrubbing, some might remember when carpet racers had chassis noses chopped off to front of the AE 3 screw old school front end, they ran longer front screws in front holes for body posts, then added a plate just for a bumper.
my first RC i ditched alum chassis right away for FG or Graphite, Corally held the alum chassis torch for a seriously long time, now graphite, ironicly alum gets revisited due to new surfaces increased traction....returns.
i remember my first 12th car having a hollow steel diff axle which was considered trick on my first RC12E fiberglass, i pick up a 2017 xray x12 and it comes a steel axle (much nicer)still had to lol...flashback
see the fenix gear diff, reminds me of my Delta Super Phaser (1988 version?) that came with one. due to traction at the time, had to rediff into ball
now i wonder who will re-release...redo the aluminum rear axle in todays alloys, or better yet best of two worlds, hollow alum axle graphite core, along with other old school items
I had the same issue with the brittle case as we started to use the SRG-HR in our cars.

The bell crank system gives you a more consistent bump-steer and improves the Ackermann settings.
On a conventional pan-car, the steering link angle changes during the steering travel and this effects the bump-steer and Ackermann negatively.
The bell crank steering system keeps the steering link angle more even, but the extra turnbuckle can introduce slop and that can contradict the positive effect.
Its heavier and needs more valuable real estate on the chassis.