R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10B64 Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Swanyman13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
how are you temping right now?

Assuming your motor isn't having issues, personally when running spec classes I start by using a method that the late Big Jim, one of the premier motor guys of his time recommended to me, with a few changes. Basically, he said to start by gearing your vehicle to top out towards the end of the longest straight, then check temps. I do this, within reason if the straight is really long or insanely short, and see how the vehicle feels and how the temps are.

If all looks good, I usually stick with that gearing or adjust about a tooth or 2. This in general has worked really well for me on a variety of vehicle platforms from 1/10 scale 2wd an 4wd buggy up to 1/8 E truggy.

Hope this helps.

as a side note, you can over heat a motor by being undergeared and have it revving at its high end range of the throttle all the time. If you find you are pretty much topped out throttle wise around most of the track, especially very very early going down a straight, I would give my gearing a look for sure.
I agree with this method 100% I try and stick to this method for most tracks and its been working for me as well... Good knowledge to have thanks man