R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why have all the tracks disappeared?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 01:28 PM
the wrench
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Yes, earlier in this thread I outlined some of the costs and challenges of starting and running a for profit indoor track. While a hobby shop can help offset the costs its not a sure thing. Far cheaper to do an outdoor track but still very difficult to do and make a profit. I would not be surprised to find out that many current tracks are not operating completely above board with regards to proper recording and reporting of operations to all the appropriate agencies.
yea, having a cash based operation helps hide some, but to be commercial, you need some kind of business incorporation, you file according to whatever type of "business"....most states and our wonderful federal govt want a piece regardless, if i had 20 acres, sure, but im still stuck paying taxes on added structures on my property if done legit.... i would love to know how Thornhill thrives, i visited Austin last year and drove by, the track is pretty remote, so its not like people just drive by, stop to check it out, or hang out in a hobby shop drooling and spending retail... Texas has some seriously high property tax!