R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 tc wanting to start out
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 01:20 PM
snuvet75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Since most above said invaluable things already, I'll add a couple based on my experience when I started racing. (This is considering you're a newbie)
Consider slower class. 21.5T or stock 17.5T. They are still plenty fast for a newbie.
Buy used chassis. Stick with well known company with parts support (especially the one that many locals run). You will crash a lot. If you don't when you're a newbie, you're not trying hard enough. Or maybe you're just so gifted lol
Don't bother to buy expensive batteries (I would buy 2 at least) and servos (I would buy 2 too). The value you get by spending more on batteries is pretty thin considering you're just trying to get used to RC racing. 5000mAh capacity is more than enough for stock racing.
Servo should be good enough but you don't need very expensive one. Savox would be the best deal for you. Don't care too much about torque because it's onroad 1/10 race. Servo speed matters a bit but IMO, it's totally overrated. If you need your servo to turn that fast, that means you're steering too abruptly not giving the car the chance to balance out.
Do buy a good radio. Stick or not, cheap ones don't have good adjustability. You will use it for a long time so might as well invest.
Do buy a good ESC (Hobbywing is just fine and cheap) with booster/turbo capability if you really want boosted racing later on. I'm sure there are many knowledgeable people here to list out many ESC's on the market but personally I use Airtronics (Sanwa), Tekin, Speedpassion,etc and they are all fine. I had some previous versions of Novak ESC's and I hated all of them. I'm sure they have improved a lot though.
Do buy a good set of tools. Car set up and wrenching are critical in TC racing and w/o proper tools, you will waste lots of time and ended up getting very frustrated. If you don't want to spend a lot, stay away from Hudy. you might find a good deal here or online for different companies. I use Arrowmax. I like them better than Hudy and they are cheaper. Check out Desotoracing.com. If I were you, I'd buy a full set of tools in a fabric bag like this:
https://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/...cat=108&page=8
For tires, you just can't get away with cheap ones. Buy whatever locals run at the track. The very basic and most important ones are tires.
You will want to use a set up station eventually once you come to understand how the car works. I understand getting to know your car and driving are already hard enough at the beginning. You may just skip the set up station for now and bring the car to local track and get some help with that. You can invest later for that. But FYI:
https://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/...cat=108&page=4
For the body, follow recommendations above. Just don't bother with painting. Buy a spray can (yes I said ONE) and be done with that. You will destroy it pretty quick lol. Ok you have artistic talent and you get amazingly beautiful shell, people praise when you get to the track, you destroy it in one day and nobody will say it's beautiful anymore lol. Pardon my sarcasm. Oh and I wouldn't buy light weight body. Easier to break if you crash a lot.
Lastly, once you get an acceptable set up on your car with local's help, learn to drive. I used to blame the car's set up when I couldn't get the car to drive how I wanted it to do and made drastic changes on the car only to make it worse. But it's mostly you who has to try to suit to the car, not the other way round. Because once the car gets going on the track, you can't change the car's set up but you can adapt to the car. Good luck.
Oh I forgot to mention soldering station. You need a good one. I have a TrakStar one and I love it. Most soldering guns at home improvement stores are either too bulky or garbage.

Last edited by snuvet75; 10-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.