R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Sharkey_t
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Not easily. The best approach would be the one Traxxas uses, where the slipper clutch, 2-speed, and center diff are all separate transmission stages. Otherwise you'd have to find a one-way bearing *and* a centrifugal clutch that could fit around the outer circumference of the center diff. Probably the most practical approach (though not necessarily the prettiest or most streamlined) would be to adapt a Revo 3.3 gearbox to fit your vehicle
or i have to build a center diff small enough to fit to one end of the bulkhead, then have the outer housing neck down small enough to run a one way bearing and 2 speed clutch on. nothing would be off the shelf r/c stuff. its something ive randomly thought about a few times, might need to look further into it when i have some time.

the problem with a revo trans is it has a lot of built in gear reduction, making the gearing problem with a 4 stroke worse.

Really? Haven't all the records been set so high by racers with sponsors that they're basically impossible for normal people to break now?
no they really havent. there are a ton of different classes you can build a car for. at a quick count there are 76 classes for different car configurations, and each of those classes has records for each engine catagory, up to 19 different engine combinations for each class, and thats just for cars and trucks, let alone everything for bikes. some records are as low as 85mph, and some records havent changed in 30+ years. the key is to pick a car class and engine class that isnt extremely popular and build a car to suit.

a friend of mine went to bonneville this year for the first time, it was his dads life long dream to set a record there. they put together a car, not a huge dollar car, but a fairly impressive engine combo, a twin turbo 260 cubic inch small block ford. the engine made 1100hp on the dyno, however traction issues hurt them and with the boost turned down as low as it would go and feathering the throttle they reset the record at 156mph.

im still sorting out what class i want to run, however i have an engine combo ive been wanting to improve on i built years ago. its a gm 60 degree v6 engine, it works in my favor for the engine class, going to be naturally aspirated on race gas. ill be happy to have 300hp at the wheels out of it, and there are a number of records i would have a chance at depending on what sort of car i put it in.