R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why no "Learn to Race RC" clinics??
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:48 AM
rayhuang
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got my buddy started in the sport. His first words after his first pack was "Man-you guys make this look easy".

It isnt easy-but its gets easier. What you need is a mentor-someones whos been in the sport awhile and has his head screwed on stright.

Here are some tips on how I got my buddy started.

-he gets all my old tires
-he gets everyones used bodies
-bought a $150 used TC3 with some spares.
-loaned him packs, esc, servo to start.
-let him buy only consumables-no hop-ups-no bling.
-after a few weeks and he was hooked-he bought a GTX and a KO digital servo.

ONly up front big expense was a good new radio. he got a synthesized FM Fuataba radio and a couple sets of crystals.

He started with old batteries and this allowed him to abuse the batteries and get on the track as much as he could.

Hes been at it a couple months now and hes already improved a lot. We didnt even let him see lap times till a couple weeks ago. When he started to get on the clock he was running 15 to 20 sec laps. He is now down to 12.4 and the fastest lap on the track is 10.8, but most guys runs 11.3 or so. Thats darn good if you ask me.

So-I think the main focus needs to be get a car thats got major parts support at track, dont try too hard-just make laps-drive the middle. But make sure youve got someone very knoledgeable to make sure your cars handling is in the allpark and the way the car is built is good.

I'll think of more later.

Ray