R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4 1/8 Buggy Kit
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 06:14 AM
30Tooth
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

G'day mate, a couple points I want to address.

First is that I don't trust pros setups, I don't drive like them or think like them. I prefer the Physics approach. No hard feelings about tuning by feel.

I know first hand that using same shock piston setup front and rear is not good, there's a couple of reasons. The most important is that the rear shocks are mounted closer to the wheel than front shocks are, that changes leverage for both spring and damping. That way, the closer the shock is mounted to the wheel the more damping/spring it will offer to the wheel. Building on that one could think that shock oil takes care of the difference but truth is that it isn't enough nor provides the same progression as carefully calculated piston hole area. That's why you use close to same oil front and rear with the different shock piston hole diameter, it's because the damping at the wheel is very close and therefore balanced.
This stems from 1:1 shock tuning which for what I know uses same "oil" but changes piston hole and shim stack to achieve balanced damping.

Hope it helps mate.