R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BSR Racing M.RAGE mini
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 AM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I took mine out for a shakedown today (outdoor asphalt track, unprepped), boy is the rear end loose with the kit setup. Rear end snapped loose every time entering the sweeper at the end of the straight (still on full power). It also spun out and did donuts when accelerating while turning left, but pushed turning right. This indicated tweak, but I checked it with my corner scales and it looked okay. Torque steer perhaps? I had to add massive preload to the rear right to get it to turn consistently both ways, which put the ride height at that corner about 1mm higher than the others (but at least it was driveable at that point).

I tried adding the swaybars (blue front, yellow rear) and it helped with the infield a bit, but I still had to slow down a bit before entering the sweeper. I laid the rear shocks down all the way, and stood the front ones up, which helped a little bit but not enough. I then tried changing tyres, I was using Team Powers 36 all round, and switched to Sweep 33 all round. Bad move, the TP36 tyres worked much better. Maybe I need to ditch the Mini Cooper body and try something with a rear wing.

When I got home I checked for binding, and both rear wheel hubs were binding a fair amount. Still haven't found a crush tube that'll fit in the hub, so I've swapped out the rear universals for some Tamiya 53597 universals and some Tamiya wheel hexes that I pulled from my M03. Now there's a tiny bit of play between the hex and the bearing, no more binding. Maybe that'll help with the handling next time. The Tamiya universals are a few mm shorter than the stock ones, but they still fit in the outdrive nicely.