R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center
Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 PM
PutAwayWet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Summer Sizzler 2017 Race Report

The 2017 Summer Sizzler closed out a tremendous run of races in the Pacific Northwest, extending from the IROCC summer race in early July, through the four-day RC Woodstock at Timezone, to TCS, the RRR trophy race and enduro, and finally the Sizzler. Plus we had a club race in there, as did most of the others. It has been a full summer of racing, and anyone would be hard pressed to find a higher quality of clubs and races to attend in such close geographic proximity. It is something to be grateful for.

As Korey, Brian and Brian, and others have noted, both on RCTech and Facebook, none of this happens, here or at the other clubs, without the support of volunteers—racers and their families. And on top of it, we also get generous support from companies that send us items for raffling or as prizes. I think it's appropriate to step back and be grateful for how well all of this works, and it is for the most part racers driving the effort, to organize ahead of time and get it done on race day. It's something we should all be proud of, and humbled by. I really value racing because it's far more than a “show up, take my money, now entertain me” activity. It takes work, and work is a good thing.

Saturday
Bright, hot, beautiful, and the racing was intense. The first race of the double-header was the bigger one by turnout. We attacked the layout that incorporates elements of the famous Tamiya track in Southern California, with it's backside 180, interior sweeper, and front straight. It is one of the great layout concepts, and it raced as well here as it does down there. The attached sheets show the final results. After calling the better part of the day's 47 heats, I will confess it is a bit hard to reconstruct the action in my head. There were good moments, frustrating moments, angry, happy, and sad, all day long. If you were there, you know what it was like. I will say the Stock Touring race got particularly chippy at the top, and Scale Spec was nose to tail in the midfield. I hope the guys in the thick of it all focus on the good experiences and do not dwell on the difficulties.

Sunday
Rain threatened in the morning, and the track took extra time to dry out from overnight showers. The combination of uncertain weather and fatigue from Saturday conspired to drive down attendance. But in the end we were delayed by not more than 30 minutes, and to be sure, we had nice competitive heats across the classes. So really, it was a nice day of racing, and once the track came in...I will say it was one of the finest days ever at Seatac RC Raceway. It was happy hour conditions, only for most of the day. Spec and modified, rubber tires and foam, our cars were hooked up and fast. Thanks to those who braved the uncertainty, I think you enjoyed some spectacular conditions as reward for taking the chance. The layout was one I call “National,” Jake calls it “Mega Flow.” Of all the layouts, and we have a bundle of fine options, I think it is the best one. It invites nose to tail contests, it takes the chicane in the best way, and the right side sweeper is high speed delight. And it showed in the high quality racing throughout the day. We'll tuck it away for awhile. Like listening to “Stairway to Heaven,” there is a rare grandeur, and it is wise to not wear it out.

Overall, it was a satisfying weekend. Looking forward, we may make adjustments. I think the double-header concept is sound, but for this back to back event, we may shift from 3 quals and a main to 2 quals and a main. Saturday was awfully long, and it depletes the tank. Not to mention leaving little time afterward for dinner. We will see. I don't like to short change the single day racers.

Thank you again, on behalf of the club and the guys who worked hard behind the scenes, it's all for naught if no one shows, and you continue to show.

Results attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FinalResults_08-12-2017.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	1439753   Click image for larger version

Name:	FinalResults_08-13-2017.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1439754