R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Orion HMX10 esc
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM
mustangkillaz
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finalist
finally got my hmx programmed. What a PIA if you are a mac/iphone owner. the PC software is archaic looking while the android app is pretty cool. My first impression of the Android app was positive. It was fast with some really nice features.

The ESC performance is exactly what I wanted. I've owned a bunch of R10.1 and while they performed well I hated the Orion customer service (still do), so I tried a different brand that has great specs. This new brand is well known but I'll not mention it as I don't want to bash a good company. That esc was manageable but had several things that bothered me (weak breaks, throttle was too harsh (on or off feeling), and it would make my motor skip or cog or something funny for a split second at random times which was only noticeable on the bench).

Now the HMX. So smooth if you want or punchy as hell if you want - it does it all! It seems like the voltage regulation is very smooth and consistent to the motor. That motor skipping thing is gone, the breaks are super strong which allows me to turn them waaay down so I have a wider range on the radio to adjust (It also sounds like maybe the breaks are a bit quieter than the R10.1 which produced a shreik when breaks were pushed). And the app is cool. You get a very wide range of adjustments that adjust and load fast. The best feature of the app is being able to save and load entire profiles that have each parameter adjusting differently. For example a carpet setup versus a dusty dirt track set up or even several for the same track and each is designed for various traction levels. Is it worth $385 ... hell no, but I do like the esc, my car is better and I would highly resommend it if you have the money to blow and an android phone. If this esc cost $200 and Orion treated their customers like humans it would destroy the competition. Lucky for the competition Orion has some major company communication problems and pricing arrogance.
Hobbywing North America treats customers like shit Too, it's not only orion.