R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 onroad setup help
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Jonathan
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Interesting discussion. Yep, we were at Timez... "The Backyard". Scott was, as usual, fast. The track is challenging: Elevation changes, off camber turns, big sweeping on camber turns - just plain exciting and very challenging. First time at the track with the VS powered Capricorn. We had very limited track time due to the large entry field and controlled practice - lots of decisions had to be made on how to get the car fast. Well, Scott qualified 3rd and we were relatively happy with that - unfortunately during the main our rear pulley came loose (Paolo M said I need to change my protein powder) and put Scott in the pit for a lifetime while I tightened the pesky setscrew. Our positive take away was Scott's 15 average fast laps (during the main) were within one tenth of Joaquin Jr and JJ's 15 average fast laps - so, the car and driver were on the mark.

Roelof and Jonathan are spot on about the solid diff and how "lifting" the inside rear tire creates the proper 1/8th scale car rotation. The "lift" doesn't have to be visible, but, it is a huge percentage of correct car setup. It's an easy concept once you see the visual explanation. These cars drift - to go fast you have to create a controlled drift. Here's a little mental cheat list in order of importance for correctly managed "slip": tire durometer, track width, sway bar, spring rate, body, then static camber. Then the Fine tuning steps: shock oil, roll center (which I always think of as camber gain), Ackerman, caster. As the setup gets really close I adjust the camber for effect along with minor toe changes. Watch this very cool video from this weekend. Titled: Controlled drift! Slow motion reveal. Action from "The BackYard"

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Empire-R...=page_internal

I'm sure others have car setup viewpoints that work for them - this just works for my feeble little mind.
Cool videos! Thanks. Did u have to run more camber than normal to account for the off camber turns? What track width did u guys run? Thanks