R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R1 Wurks brushless motors
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 03:00 AM
Jorge T
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I went back and did some additional dyno runs at the lower timing settings. I started at 20* and went up in 1* increments, this particular motor showed normal expected progression numbers as the timing was increased. It was interesting to find the motor took a big dip in performance numbers at 27* but took a decent jump at 28*. I redid these settings a couple times just to confirm the distinct changes and this was confirmed, not sure why the big dip but its there.

Regardless, I ran the motor at both the preferred timing settings of 28* and 41*,taking the average readings thru the entire load settings and found the following. At 28* the motor averaged 3% more efficiency, 1 watt higher and .7 higher torque. The motor set at 41* had 8% higher rpm.

At the track, I ran the car at the 28* timing and adjusted the gearing. The car now had a lot lower temps, in the range of 120 to 140. I still have not been able to get close to the lap times that I can when the motor is set at 41*. At 28* the motor just has a different feel to it, I can't describe it, but it feels flat, or at least not the punch that I was expecting. The gearing difference between the 2 settings is 5 teeth bigger when running 28*.

So Jorge, I'd say I'm seeing the same sort of results as you're seeing, and yes the motor seems to have more of a flat curve performance wise. And also seeing the jump at that lower timing setting, just can't seem to hit the performance on the track with that setting. I'll have to do more on track testing.
Thanks Gary. I'm not crazy then. Just wanted to see if it was an anomaly but it seems the power is there. Although it may be not practical to use.

Mike, I agree; the same principle applies when using 1:1 race car dynos.
Dyno to zero in on motor timing settings and/or boost in case of turbo engines.
The final tune is done at the track.

Last edited by Jorge T; 07-14-2017 at 03:46 AM.