R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Advice on 1:10/1:12 aero bodies for speed runs.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM
jj_RC
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LJH
I don't have any experience with this bout wouldn't a pan car body be pretty "draggy" because of all the down force they generate?

Cheers,
Jim
Yes and no. The pan cars will have much cleaner air flow so will be more efficient than a lot of the other rc bodies. However the large rear wing will generate more down force than needed so will need cutting back a bit so as to not cause too much drag. A lot of the 'wings' on rc bodies are not accurate aerofoils they are just scoops so they don't create down force efficiently. I'll be using a proper low pressure undertray and diffuser to generate down force so mostly I need a clean compact body.

I think I may have to go with a 190mm width body to accommodate the full size 1:10 wheels and deal with the extra 10mm width overhang. The length isn't an issue as I may leave rear wheels enclosed..

Still struggling to find a good option. The actual pan card bodies use much smaller front wheels so I don't think they will clear. I did find an rs4 bltiz. 1:10 mini for bsr m rage. I may have to go with this and hope the large wheels fit.

What are people's thoughts on the over hang of a 190mm body on a 170mm chassis. I could get 6mm offset 36mm wide wheels which would take up most of that, but would screw up cars handling I fear..