R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTC1
Thread: Mugen MTC1
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daleburr

[...]

It's also a very high spec, including a lot of parts that are optional on other cars:
- Ally steering
- Ally spring retainers
- Ally rear driveshafts and outdrives
- DCJs
- Narrow hexes
- Adjustable body posts
- Chassis brace

[...]
I don't see any of the features you listed as a sign of high end.

You can see all of that in cars at a fraction of that price thanks to CNC.

But the main point is none of those things are critically sized.

What I think is the trademark of high end is the alloy gear diff. That needs precision manufacturing otherwise it is going to be useless. That is where the expense goes and that is why most manufacturers prefer injection moulding. Easier, cheaper, but not the same quality.

Their diff also looks like it might allow lateral adjustment of the pulley, which I think would be a great plus. I have been waiting for a long time to see someone make one of these (the Corally NGX diff was half baked unfortunately, huge missed opportunity there). Check out the Losi alloy diff for their off-road buggies, another gem of engineering, good on them, absolutely brilliant quality.

If the Mugen diff also comes with straight gear satellites made of steel (like the Losi one), it will be the end of everybody else's diffs.

I only wish they were a bit more generous with the details about the car, the videos and pictures out do not really show much.