Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
BURN THE WITCH!

Spec tires aren't really supposed to last very long. People want lots of grip for race-day and to hell with lifespan, and the tire companies are happy to sell more tires rather than spending money developing more advanced rubber compounds. The only exception is if the spec requires you use the same tires for the entire competition, and I'm not sure there are any RC race classes with that requirement. In real-car racing, it creates some interesting paradoxes; in Formula 1, for qualifying they use ridiculously sticky tires and they run their engines so they're practically belching smoke to get the most power out of them, and then for the actual race they dial back the engine programming and switch to (relatively) long-life tires, because regs won't let them use more than a certain amount of fuel and a certain number of tires. This results in cars that win the qualifier and lose the race, because the mechanics can't re-tune the cars thoroughly enough while switching between qualifier configuration and race configuration.

Hey now.....LOL. Where is the love?

I consider the USGT "spec" tires, I did not know the 26MM Ride Radials were also "spec" tires. With that said the USGT tires are wearing very well. Last night I put what I believe was the 13th pack on the USGT tires and they are showing a bit of wear but not bad at all.

Huge F1 fan here. amazing how many laps they got out of the "Super Softs" this past weekend, there were a number of cars that pitted after the first lap debacle and put on SS's and went the full race distance on them.

Back in the mid '80 with the 1.5L turbos they did change the map for qualifying....1000BHP out of a 1.5L motor in qualifying trim . Currently I believe they run the same map in qualifying as they do in the race. I believe this is because of the motor limit that has been instituted in the current sporting regulations, they can't "use up" motors like they did in the old days.

Cheers,
Jim