R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Back to the 80's - racing outdoors, semi-groomed course
Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM
loaba
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Back to the 80's - racing outdoors, semi-groomed course

So my indoor club shut down last weekend, only game in town is outside (for at least the summer). To that end, I'm trying to decide what changes, if any, I should make to my current car or if should switch chassis etc.

The Players
RB 6.6A - currently set up mid, 3-gear stand-up
B5 - same setup
RB6.6 B - not yet arrived

First option is to run my B5 as is. It's an old rear-motor car that features lots of plastic and not a lot of aluminum. All I would need is change of rubber. Seems like this car was pretty much made for outside running.

2nd option is to setup the coming-soon RB6.6 as a rear-motor outdoor car. I think a chassis protector would go a long way to minimizing the damage to the underbelly and I much prefer the Kyosho to the B5. This is probably my first choice.

3rd option - same as number 2, just give the new-to-me car over to my son and run my own RB6.6 as is.

About rubber - track is hard and loose and very dusty. It is not groomed regularly and does feature the occasional rock or two. Temps will get to 90°+ over the summer. Pro-line has a M2 compound for those conditions, so that's what I'd like to go with. For tread patterns, I'm thinking something similar to pin cushions in the rear and old-school ribs up front.

Thoughts?

Last edited by loaba; 06-12-2017 at 05:07 PM.