R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
4roller
Tech Addict

You are very right. The car works well with more suspension in a non track setting. Body roll and suspension flex make the car look amazing around turns flying off of driveways.

It's unfortunate that your car hasn't been as durable as your other cars. It's true. I have been driving my old Rc10 buggy and I can take that car off anything. Where the xv-01 I need to be very selective. The driveline in my experience has been very strong with my motor set up.

TC? I thought about getting a ta07 aswell, but hey, TC is really only for prepared surfaces. I am glad I got a xv-01. The rally car is great in all other tarmac like situations. I have a TA05 and as fast and light as it is, you really can't drive it in many situations.

I have been wanting to drive with more ride height, maybe I'll go up to 12mm because you want to some down travel to soak up dips. Rally forever.

Originally Posted by Shimmy
I think this chassis is more suited for their purpose with 16mm ride height when not on a track.
I have mine around that, and it can take a decent beating and not flip or impact small objects as easily.
I find it quite enjoyable and satisfying though, with the extra ride height, seeing the body roll and sliding around a bit, but not like a drifter.
But it would be interesting to see how they'd perform like yours with the TC bits.

It's also the main reason why I've never really taken much of a liking to TC, as they require too clean a surface to get a decent run with them, but I do have a track close by that I go to anyway.

Been a few weeks since I've taken mine out now.
It ran alright and is better with more appropriate gearing, doesn't get nearly as hot.
But by the end of that day, it chewed out a diff output cup, they still looked near new when I put the front CV shafts in so didn't bother getting new ones, and it now needs it as it tends to prevent the front suspension from working properly.

I was actually looking to get a TA-07 eventually to play around with something more TC dedicated.
But after my experience with the XV, I don't think I'll be doing that.
From the build experience, poor quality and fitment of parts, areas that could have been better or easier to work on but aren't.
If I had the issues I've had with it over the course of a year, I'd be happy but within the space of just a couple of months and while it had a decent amount of use, it's had no where near as much as my other RCs and it's had more issues.

So I think I'll eventually find a 2nd hand X-Ray T4 or something.

In saying that, it's also quite interesting to drive in FWD by removing the rear dog bones.