R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Wrc stx 17
Thread: Wrc stx 17
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM
disaster999
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I picked up a well used wrc stx 14 on sunday for very little money. Granted the 17 version is different, but the general impression I get is similar to comments about the 17 version.

My impressions of the 14 are:
1) the entire drive train is a copy of xray (same 38tooth diff and spool, same 20 tooth center pulleys, same length drive shafts, same size belts)- the drive shafts and gear diff were by spec-r and even had the spec-r name painted over (the spec-r double joints are nowhere near as durable as the x-ray ones, and the spec-r gear diff leaks unless you sand it/finish it)
2) the entire suspension is a copy of xray (except the shocks), exactly the same arms, hubs, knuckles, and uprights
3) the front hubs and knuckles require sanding to work smoothly (there is a huge amount of friction)
4) the stock steering rack can get gummed up and it binds if not clean (it is smooth if clean)

Since I have a box of xray parts, I swapped out the entire suspension and drive train with xray parts and it is now free and smooth.

Compared to my t3 that I run in vta, I like the layout and room in the stx much more, but the quality of the parts and finishing required is night and day different. In my opinion, wrc should have just created a conversion for the xray t3/t4 with the chassis, rails, steering rack, shock towers, motor mount and bulkheads. If they priced it at about $150, they would have a winner. This way, they wouldn't have to create molds for plastic parts or substitute spec-r parts, and could have cut and machined all of the required pieces.

In conclusion, if you are comparing the wrc stx 17 to the xray t4 17, spend another $70 and get the xray, or wait for the mugen mtc1, and then decide.
Originally Posted by The Teacher
billjacobs, I here what you're saying I had the STX 14 and thought the same thing. You would think since the STX 17 is the 2nd or 3rd version of this car they would have the kinks worked out by now....
I do agree with you that the fit and finish of the WRC parts leave much to desire. but to tell WRC they are better of creating a conversion kit for the T4 with everything except the plastic parts and drive shaft and price is at $150 is pretty absurd. I commend them for creating an entire kit on their own but do agree with The Teacher that with the 3rd version of their car out, the same complaints can still be found in the latest version as to their first car.

I dont mind if their plastic parts are very similar to the xray as Im pretty numb with the fact that ALMOST ALL touring cars available now share the same drivetrain and layout. Im not sure if the 17 still share the same arms, C hub, knuckles and upright as the xray, but if they do, at least I know I can get better quality and readily available parts for my car if I do crash *touch wood*.