R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi Rock Rey Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 PM
FelixRockRey
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FelixRockRey
I was out driving today bashing offroad in some mud, gravel, wet gras sliding and having great fun.
BUT
After 45 minutes the rear diff started slipping every time when I was fully accelerating or breaking. No problem when going reverse.
Going on 3s...
Did anyone have the same problem? The diff plastic housing seems ok. Probably the rear diff locker or the axel shafts or the pinion gear...
Have not had time to take the diff apart yet.
What Kind of upgrades can you guys recommend?

Or maybe it slipps at the Center gear - could not really locate the noise (like slipping gears)
Maybe the diffs just needs some new silicon Oil.
I would go with 15k front - 15k mid and 10k for the Rear One. Which type of oil do you use for the diffs and how often do you change / fill up the Oil?
Thanks
Update from me:
I finally had the time to look through center and rear diff.
The trouble was caused by the rear diff - the backside of the metal pinion gear had literally milled itself into the inner part of the front plastic housing of the rear axle and therefore had enough play (about 1 mm) to slide forward and backward. This was enough that it would slip off/loose contact to the rear diffs spur-gear when high torque / accelaration occured...
I dissasambled everything, sandpapered away all ridges from the pinion gear and simply put a metal washer between the plastic housing and the pinion gear. Now hopefully this should last a while -but some heavy grease between both parts and mounted the rear drifte shaft again (had to mount the shaft by 90° and drill an new hohle into the mounting end since the original hohles of the pinion gear shaft and the drive shaft no did not lign up exactly any more...

And now the RR rocks again!

I also ordered a new plastic housing, but I assume that it will be also be milled away at a certain level of time - so I hope my washer solution will last longer!

I also change the programm for the start mode from level 9 to level 6, so the initial punsh onto the driveshafts and diffs going at 3S is not as hard as before and this will hopefully prolong the lifetime of the drivetrain components.