R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Wrc stx 17
Thread: Wrc stx 17
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 09:37 AM
disaster999
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I was able to put a few labs down this weekend to get a feel of the car. It was mostly positive with minor complaints.

Track: Medium grip asphalt, ~25c surface temp

Setup (matching my previous car as close as possible):
13.5T unlimited
SkyRC 120A (temp setup, soon to be Orca R32)
-2 degrees camber all round
1 degree front toe out
3 degrees rear toe in
Droop front 5mm, rear 4mm
Ride height 5mm F and R
Shock position: 3rd hole from inside front and rear
Shock oil: Team Ass 45wt
Diff Oil: 7000wt
Wheels and tires: Stock

Initial impression: Turns was pretty decent, the felt like it has a lot steering The springs the car includes were way too soft tho. The car rolled around too much and dragging the chassis on the ground during turns or down the straight. I didnt have any stiffer springs to test so I moved the shocks one position outward so they would stand up straight more. The car felt stiffer and had a better rebound than before, but standing up the shocks also made the car understeer more.

The stock plastic servo horn was pretty much useless as it instantly stripped once I hit something. I swapped it out for an all metal one which was WAY better. The steering was a mess with the car since I mentioned the C hub was pinching down on the steering knuckles too much making them really stiff. This took out and play in the steering so the car wouldnt return to neutral after a turn and would veer left or right after a turn. It was a bit of a handful to drive to say the least. Ive since heated up the C hubs and bend it back a little so it doesnt pinch down on the knuckles and that freed up the steering a lot. But its still not as buttery smooth as I hoped with the ball bearing sliding rack. The rack wouldnt move under its own weight and when sliding it back and forth, it feels really gritty and notchy. Im not sure what else could of went wrong, Im sure I built it correctly, gonna take it back to the shop and see if they can figure it out.

One last minor thing to complain about are the body posts. I had a minor crash and flipped the car on its top. It upright itself and I continued to drive the car, but the body was dragging pretty badly. At first I was like, crap, an arm broke, there goes my day. Went to pick up the car and realized the rear of the body wasnt attached to the car. My second reaction was, GREAT, the shock tower broke, but finally, I realized the body post had just snapped off the base. I have NEVER seen body post do that, EVER. Good thing a guy at the track had just bought some new body post that actually fits my car and sold it to me first. I expected the body post to be tougher than that.

All in all, I enjoy the car, but wished part of the kit were of better quality. The most disappointed thing has to be the steering rack, hopefully I can find a solution to fix it.