R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Where is nitro headed
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 03:45 AM
1/8 IC Fan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Time, I see that as previously stated, you will see obviously more seasoned drivers in Nitro Buggy etc. Then younger racers, or the less adept to tuning, in the Brushless classes. And its not just the motor setup, but also clutch setup, linkage etc. that usually give them troubles as well. Time to learn is their biggest detriment, they think its as easy as learning a new app or game, lol.

I think something that may have hurt the Nitro scene, were that Hobbyshops were no longer the helpful mom and pop establishments, but rather became Traxxas repair shops, and instead of showing newcomers how to run and tune a motor, just asked for the car to be dropped off, then later picked up, and charged for it.

When I worked at a Hobby Shop (Modellbau Koch) 80's-90's, break'in and tuning was free if you purchased the motor from our shop, as were subsequent retunes etc. The shop owner wanted people to stay in and enjoy the Hobby. Motors and Fuel back then were also not as "easy" as they have become now.

We actually started a small club series, that is based around everyone running the same motor / pipe / fuel combo in an effort to help with tuning. This allows the newer racers to receive tuning and setup advice from the club veterans that have been running longer. Also after the racing (we are only running 20min mains with mandatory 1 pit stop rule), there is a sort of group get together and we have a Q & A session.

Any EFRA / IFMAR legal 1/8 buggy, but everyone runs: the Sonic .21 XB.21-5FT Motor, the Mielke 2500C Pipe Set and Runnertime fuel.

Its doing well sofar for the second season, and we are considerring doing a GT series as well, to help with 1/8 On-Road attendance.