R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Could a Tamiya TA02 be competitive in VTA?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
I proudly run a TB-03 in USGT and it does really really well. I have a ton of upgrades, but it is still much less than a Xray or Awesomatic

For a TA02 they have been making those things forever, and it already has the basics of what you need. ( 4wd, gear diffs ) because we all went forward to ball diffs, then back to gear diffs ( well fluid gear diffs ). The hubs are your standard Tamiya hubs so just get the CVD's length you need.

Weight will be your main issue with that chassis, along with FDR ( Final drive ratio )

The way the gears are built, you can;t just replace it with your own set like the TB03 .

I know Tamiya makes a speed tuned gear set for that car, Tam 53127 but with the design that is as best as you are going to get. I would match the Smallest Spur and larger pinion possible.

It would still be a fun car to race and extremely durable.
First off, the hubs and CVDs aren't exactly standard. They use two mismatched bearings, a 1510 and a 1260. You need a specialty CVD. Secondly, those unsealed gear diffs are rubbish, the compatible ball diffs work much better.

Also, this is a zombie thread. That post you just replied to is over 6 years old.