R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 AM
DesertRat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Black carpet tires

I ran 17.5 and Mod 1/12 at the Mile High Indoor Champs last week and it was my first race on black felt carpet. In 17.5 we had spec stripe tires, but obviously Mod was open tire. I couldn't get any of my Ulti X compounds or CRC Blu/Green to work right as they became very tacky and would make my car bicycle through corners. I wound up running the purple stripes for Mod as well as Stock and they were decent but seemed to have a very narrow setup window when balancing the turn-in, mid corner, exit, and rear grip. After talking to the other Mod racers, they recommended running a soft compound old-school tire compound such as a pink or magenta, or a JFT 30 or 35. Is this really the hot ticket? Are we back to running pinks and magentas in Mod again after our little fling with exotic compounds?

I found the black felt to be quite different from the older grey carpet for determining tire choice. But, I guess if we're back to pinks I will have to invest in a few sets for the next time I run on the felt. Has anybody run pinks and the JFT tires back-to-back and could give us some info on them?

Last edited by DesertRat; 04-26-2017 at 11:47 AM.