R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Talk to me about the Kyosho MP9e TKI Ready Set
Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM
ThePanda
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I have owned kyosho vehicles before. They are some of the nicest quality vehicles I Have owned. HOWEVER... and this is a big reason to consider not buying one...

a. Their RTR vehicles are IMHO not that great. parts that you really want to be strong and durable are areas where they take short cuts to cut costs. such as in the rtr buggy you are looking at, it uses stamped towers. A lot of RTR vehicles use towers like this, but upgrading to the "hard" towers is like 60 bucks a pop.

b. parts are expensive versus other brands, and from what i have read the mp9 series in particular aren't amazingly durable, so expect to buy more parts on average compared to other brands.

all parts are interchangeable with the kit version, however there are several different version of the kit, tki, tki2,3 etc, so even if parts are compatible they aren't always the same.

What I would do is look for a used (read cheaper way to get a dope kit for a fraction of the cost) Kit version buggy, likely rtr with full electronics minus radio and a few batteries for 450-650. You will need a couple packs and a good radio, but those can be piked up for well under 200 these days. If i was trying to get into 1/8 I would consider tekno, Xray, losi, and a few others, putting a premium on kits that the track or store had parts for.