R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya FF03
Thread: Tamiya FF03
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM
IAmGreatDane
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wtcc
I made a new chassis for my FF03.
After several days of driving the car and a comparison drive with my T4, I came to the conclusion that the front motor concept is working nice, but on ETS-carpet there is too much load on the front tires. And this costs a lot of agility. In comparison my T4'15 without rear belt has by far not enough pull out of the corner, but handles much better in the entry and middle corner part. In the end with the same tires my T4 13.5t in FWD mode was as fast as the FF03 with 10.5t.
So I constructed a chassis that not only makes the complicated plastic parts obsolete, but also allows a motor position in front and behind the front axle. Additionally I replaced the suspension parts with Xray hard parts and "active" rear (mostly to get rid of rear toe blocks).
I reduced the cog by taking away material from the gearbox mounts. This lowered this gearbox-motor unit around 3mm. I couldn't live with the motor hovering several millimeter above the chassis. I am also a big fan of lay down shocks. In the shown configuration only the rear shocks can "sleep". With the motor in front all shocks are horizontal

Tomorrow this thing will have its first shakedown

RtR weight with body: 1071g
What an awesome build. I for one is looking forward to your conclusion tomorrow.

Last edited by IAmGreatDane; 03-18-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Grammer editing.