R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tc4 speed run 137mph
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Lionkev55
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Unless your droop is way off, you may want to spend some time balancing the weight bias on your chassis (front/back & left/right).

TC4 was designed with brushed motors and 6 or 7 cell round cell packs in mind. If you are running a heavy motor and a light lipo, you may not have enough static weight on the left rear to balance out the weight of the motor. You can use the shock pre-load collars to get an even chassis ride height, but if the chassis isn't balanced at least one of the shocks is going to have more pre-load.

A quick way to tell if your car isn't balanced left/right is to measure the distance between the shock collars (the top part that the spring touches) and a fixed point on the car like top shock screw. I bet you will find that one side is different than the other.

While torque steer will always be an issue on a shaft drive car, it isn't as big of an issue that some people make it out if you are running a brushless motor. However if your chassis isn't properly balanced, any torque steer that you do get will be magnified.

---------

As far as drop, there is no magic number. Just make sure that it is the same at each end of the car. The easiest way to check drop (after you have set the right height) is to lift the car at the center line of the car. You can use a hex driver/allen wrench to lift up on the center of the car and watch which wheel lifts off the ground first (at the rear of the car as an example). Just adjust the drop on that end of the car until both wheels lift off the ground at the same time.

----------

Other things that can cause a car to track poorly:
- Bad bearing(s)
- Aftermarket ball cups rubbing on the wheels.
- Binding suspension parts (bent hinge pins/poor tolerances)
- Uneven steering geometry (make sure the steering turnbuckles are the same length when the car is set at neutral).

----------

Basically if the car is veering noticeably during a momentum change event, there is something mechanically wrong with the car that needs to be sorted out.
Thanks for that reply, I will take all of it in my testing consideration. There is definitely something a little off when I turn up the motor. I believe my chassis is pretty balanced already. The lipo is about 600g, really heavy 4s. The motor is huge and weighs about 350+150mm2+50servo. Something I notice is momentum the motor has. When you really push it fast, the car jerks to one side. Its why nic case used a brass weight on his driveshaft. My steering geo is as close as I can tell, must be the suspension. I'll have an update later in the week.