R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best 1/10 4wd buggy?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 10:52 AM
the incubus
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Having driven literally every single car that can be considered on the list (less the YZ-4 and SRx4), and now running the SB401 for as couple of years now, I can unequivocally say the DEX410 is the best overall car for a vast number of reasons.

The ease of maintenance as JRSlash pointed out is second to NONE. I mean the pull-pin is the most ingenious thing I have ever come across on an RC vehicle. While you'd think the system being so easy to take apart might not be robust enough to hold up for very long, it is factually quite the opposite. My son now has my 410v3 and it still has all the original parts for the center slipper and it is still as tight today as it was almost 5 years ago, with zero play.

And while we've all heard about fit and finish of components being legendary among many vehicles, including that of "luxury" brands , no 4WD kit I have ever assembled was quite as precise as the DEX410 and maintained such precision through years of running. There is still no play anywhere on my son's 410 (I change the cups to TLR/Kyosho ones which I've found to be the most robust and precise fitting in the industry).

The 3 areas in which the 410 does not rank the best in my experience are…

1. Stock Ball Cups (which they've revised several times over - haven't tried the latest iteration, but I swapped them out as described above and that literally becomes a non-issue)

2. Factory Hinge Pins - Not sure if they've changed the material as of yet but for $5 you can buy hardened pins from McMaster and it would be rare to break or even bend one.

3. Very rigid and robust plastics for the arms, and really it's not a weak point in my experience. (this makes them tend to snap rather than bend but if you don't drive like a maniacal bat out of hell, they hold up perfectly well and don't develop slop over time. There was a large batch of the B-Spec arms that were brittle but they rectified the issue and all has been superb since then)

The weakest thing about the 410, and now any Durango vehicle is that the brand is circling the drain since it's parent company has filed for bankruptcy and parts have become increasingly difficult to find. Sad because I still find this one of the most innovative RC kits around and most of it's innovation is really due to keeping things simple.

Having said all that, most of today's top quality race kits all perform quite similarly and you will more than likely be pleased with any of them. The biggest difference in performance will come from going with either a Shaft Driver car vs. a Belt Driven car, and with each type you will find some are simply smoother than others.

For Shaft Driven cars I'd say the 410, XB4 and 46 are equal in smoothness but the XB4 & 46 are a tad easier to drive out of the box because for whatever stupid reason Durango continues to include the 19° front blocks, but swap those for the 21° blocks and the car is Butter.

For Belt driven cars it's a tossup between the 22-4, SRx4 and the YZ-4 because they're all so smooth. Choosing between belt driven cars will come down to what type of track you race on the most, but I remember reading that Yokomo will be offering the YZ-4 2 models (can't find the link ATM) like the YZ-2 in the very near future – Carpet & Dirt – so keep that in mind when narrowing down your decision on a belt driven car should you opt to go that way.

Hope this helps.