R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 08:31 AM
ruebiracer
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I think my love of the M04 is finally over. It seems they don't like brushless based torque. I've blown through at least 3 diffs in 6 months, even with limited track time and careful builds. Last night, I mysteriously melted the guts of the gearbox. The bosses the gear shafts are set into got warm and went all bell shaped. Bearings were good. Can't figure it out. Had enough.

The M05 was friggin outstanding though, so it's the go to for now. With the new, black carpet, setup has been simplified. Stock camber, yellow springs and 40wt all around.
Hi Jim,
that sounds indeed strange with your M04! Havenīt used mine since I got my M06 some years ago, but drivetrain is quite solid usually. Guess you use the stock gear diff, right?
Do you use AW grease in it? What parts are damaged, outdrive axles? Axle seats in the housing should not wear out due to heat usually. Bearings are really o.k.? What brushless do you use, guess no 10t?
Is the motor isolated by the cartdrige sheet from the plastic?

Lot of questions, but I would not expect a failure in the stock gear diff of a Mini from my experience over the years.
I know you donīt like the M06, so lets sort your problem on the M04 out to keep you spinning the rear wheels, too!

Br,
Matthias