R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF801XT
Thread: Tamiya TRF801XT
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 06:58 PM
22kahn
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench
most people here got their truggy on closeout from tamiya from a few years ago, at least thats when i got mine, its old, heavy, has weak front arms, some think the entire kit is fragile, i have no other truggy experience, mainly buggy but was a cheap way to get into a second class, to see if i like it, and i loooove truggy, i cant compare what it drives like, i started from scratch and just played with it until i felt it was neutral for my driving...i like how smooth the drivetrain is, and i like how it drives... im not serious enough to justify buying new kits every year something new comes out, but it was worth the cost to upgrade the arms and experiment with c-hubs, knuckles, shocks and driveshafts, was still cheaper than a new kit, and at the rate new kits are being introduced, its crazy to run a kit for 6months and sell it here to get the next... im not hardcore competitive, just a "club" level hobbyist, having fun

if you find one cheap, i personally think there fantastic, plenty new kits that are better, but for what it is, i like mine, and ill keep running it until i run out of drivetrain parts
The Wrench definitely has the right outlook on this truck. I am currently working through getting my XT running how I want it to. I am running it just as a basher and bmx pump track rc truck. No racing, just me and myself dicking around cuz I like building RC anything. So far I have experience some broken parts but I expected that since I was buying a used rig and bashing it.

I am running 3.8 rock rage wheels on mine with a Proline Yeti svt body. Running 6s with a Castle Mamba Monster esc and 1900kv brushless can. 45t spur and 15t pinion. Absolutely rips and probably would be better off on 4s, but 6s is what I got. First time out I stripped the metal pinion and spur within the first 15ft. Went to a plastic spur from either a Kyosho or Losi buggy/truggy.

Also building an 801x as an SCT rig since its the same wheelbase as a slash or sc10 or the like. At the moment just figuring out how to mount the body posts and bumpers. running it on just 2s with a HobbyWing Xerun Pro SCT esc and 4700kv 3536 motor. Considering dropping down to a 3800kv so I can run 3s and have the same rpm values as the 801XT. That said its not exactly underpowered on 2s... just needs nice quality batteries. Think 100c discharge rates.

I know this thread is a LONG read but its well worth it. Take notes on what is compatible in terms of replacement parts and you will be much better off down the road for it.