R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC4
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 AM
IndyRC_Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 32819toon
I have a tc4 rtr and want to install a low profile servo. I tried to put an Alturn one in but it wouldn't fit, it was fouling the chassis. How can I overcome this ?
Without more information, I assume that the servo horn is probably rubbing on the chassis, possibly the cross brace in front of the chassis?

The first thing to make sure is that you have properly shimmed the servo in the car. The stock plastic servo mounts came with thin and thick 2 hole shims. These are used to move the servo more forward on the chassis so that the servo horn/ball stud is at the proper orientation. If you have access to the manual, the section on installing the servo has a list of servos and which shim(s) to use. If your servo isn't listed, you will have to figure out which shims (if any) to use.

If the issue is that the servo is too low and the horn is rubbing on the chassis cross brace, then you could always use the shims to raise the servo up until it clears that chassis. If you are using the stock servo arm, you may want to do this anyway so that the steering geometry/location of the arm ball stud is at the proper height.

Here is a link to an exploded view of a TC4 where you can see the servo mounts and the shims...

https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...ing_tc4rtr.pdf

----------

Of course you can always modify the chassis to get the servo to fit.

The TC4 tub chassis car was designed with full size servos in mind, so you may need to modify the chassis to get a lower profile servo to work to your preferences. You may need to remove any area of the chassis that is interfering with the servo. If you have access to a file or rotary tool, it shouldn't take too long to modify the chassis. Remember to remove as little material as possible.

The TC4 tub chassis was designed with foam tire touring car racing in mind, so the chassis is very stiff overall. Removing a little material shouldn't affect the handling of the car as long as you don't make the chassis look like swiss cheese.

----------

One final thought about servos. Many people like to change out the stock servo horns on their r/c cars with aftermarket parts. If the replacement horn places the ball stud at a different location than the stock horn, it will affect the throw of the servo and/or cause binding. Always make sure to take measurements of a stock/supported servo (horn) before installing any aftermarket parts so that the steering geometry works properly.

I should add that some people change out steering components with aftermarket parts or parts from other kits to purposely change the steering geometry on their cars. R/C drift enthusiasts are the best example as they require extreme steering angles to achieve the desired handling.