R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - question on solvent sprays for cleaning
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM
ek298
Tech Rookie

As an MX guy, I tend to use a lot of products I use on my bikes. So a few things...

I wouldn't use Simple Green. Yes, it seems like it works great, but it's not super ideal on all parts. I'd use pH neutral cleaner. "Shout" stain remover is a super cheap, laundry stain remover and it's pH neutral, so it doesn't dull aluminum or slowly eat away/dull plastics. It also works extremely well.

Another thing I use is something from a sponsor of mine in MX, Slick Products. Slick wash and wax works great, and on RC lasts a long time. If you order the kit, it's pretty fairly priced, and comes with the wash, a spray on wax (similar to maxima SC1, Lucas slick mist, etc), a brush, some microfibres and the spraying device. It works extremely well.

Another thing is using the proper grease on your bearings. Once again, I use the same stuff I use on my MX bikes, Belray waterproof grease and or Maxima waterproof grease. It's a high temp grease, that resists washout very well. It also doesn't attract dust. Lots of good greases on the market, just make sure the one you use is waterproof, it'll last longer.

One last thing, if you are trying to remove clumps of grease, or something similar and the shout or slick won't get rid of it, use some electrical contact cleaner (or Maxima contact cleaner). It won't damage aluminum, plastic, painted surfaces, etc. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works too, but it's not as safe on plastic, rubber, or painted surfaces.

Hope this helps. Just talking from some experience!