R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Adding a little boost in blinky setup
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM
wittyname
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I've pondered this too, for my 13.5 4wd buggy. It'd be nice to be able switch ESC modes and maybe the pinion and jump into modified without getting "in the way". I live too far from my track to practice and test so it'd have to be a plug & play solution for me.

You'll definitely want to drop a few teeth on your pinion gear. Just adding timing to a 17.5 blinky setup will almost certainly burn up your motor.

I have never run 17.5 , but I have done just what you describe in 13.5 wheeler. Our track didn't need a lot of end bell timing , so I left it at about 20* with a pinion on it about 2 teeth smaller than optimal for binky. It was on pace in 13.5 , not optimal . When I wanted to , I would add another 10 to 15 Dg of boost and the car was noticeably sportier. It was not as fast as the top 3 or 4 cars by any means , but neither is my talent. Doing this made me 3 or 4 laps better than I was with a 6.5 because of the better control I had. The boost was about 2 laps better than binky iirc because you could actually do the doubles but We haven't run the 13.5 thing in a long time. IF you're one of the fast guys , boosting the 13.5 may not be enough for you . If you're a mid pack guy learning as you go , try it .