R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Improving Onroad Club Racing
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM
RotorTruck
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by outlandr91
An entry level car would help,the next step would be to keep the experienced drivers out of the class. Let the new guys compete with each other rather than against a guy with years of experince and who also runs 1/2th, mod ect.
classes.
THIS!

I started in VTA and it was fun, I like the look of the cars and a spec tire, but long time fast guys were lapping me like 4-5 times. Its not their fault they're fast, I knew I was slow and struggling with setup, tire prep, etc. A rookie class with a spec car with no seasoned drivers would be real nice, simplify the setup. But then when you're ready to graduate to a faster class, u need a new chassis and possibly all electronics.... But.. I think it is an ok idea to get your feet wet for less $ especially since some n00bs don't stick with it and bail. You could point potential new racers to Tower Hobbies and say buy these items, build it and go.

Local track is considering a spec class with the Tamiya Team Hahn semi trucks, that would be fun and a good way to get started. And its a TT01 so you could do some other classes with it later.

Friendly and helpful racers and track owner helped me feel welcome, that is a necessity. Another track people with put a towel on their car as you walk buy and say "don't steal my ideas". Brrrrrr.......