R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - After three years, things have changed apparently, few questions if you don't mind
Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM
TT_Vert
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default After three years, things have changed apparently, few questions if you don't mind

Chargers:
  • Are the cheapy single channel 6A turnigy type chargers up to the task anymore? I see there is a whole slew of functionality new chargers seem to have. Are any of them a must have? I see they are monitoring IR, some can apparently do some type of motor specing, some can do servo testing? I'm not sure what these options are but any feedback on these would be helpful. When I raced last I had a fairly cheap AC/DC 4 port charger which was sub $100 which did the job very nicely. I won't be running multiple classes so a single channel charger will work.
  • Is charging at high current really a thing again? Back in the NiCd days it was but it destroyed batteries in short order. Same deal today? Worth it?
  • Just like above, is discharging really a thing again too? Is it beneficial really. I don't know all of the physics behind lithium cells but I'm not sure I'm buying into that just yet.

Motors
  • I'll be running the 25.5 F1 class more than likely, Is there a decently prices but competitive 25.5 motor? They were in the $60 range last I raced but I was shocked to see them around $90-100 now. I was shocked to hear Novak had gone away also.

Radios
  • Seems not a lot has changed here at least. Are there any must have options (Aside from the obvious, trims/EPA adjustments, etc.) that the newer generations have? Someone told me today that you can use a telemetry sensor in one of the futaba radios that will vibrate when motor temp is above a preset temp. Anything else like that? Do you guys find any of these things useful or just superfluous? I had a DX3s before which was more than enough and I may just go back to what felt right but any input would be great.

ESCS
  • This may have changed the most for me. It seems the Chinese brand ESCS have started to become serious contenders. I was always a Tekin guy ever since the 410K days. The hobbywing were just for the bashers when I left but they are being recommended now. Was looking at the JUSTOCK one. Opinions on these guys, good manufacturer these days? Competitive? On their site they have a XR10 and a Legacy. One is 60A and the other 45A, current draw is a new way to rate and ESC to me so what do these 25.5 motors draw at peak/continuous? Anyone have any idea if that cheapy legacy 45A would be ok for 25.5?

Anything else you'd like to add for someone who's been out of racing for 3 years?

Sorry for the seemingly basic questions but the trip to the LHS today sent me home with more questions than answers. I went in figuring I had a solid gameplan, I was wrong.