R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Brushed motors in2017. Break in, comm drops, graphite brushes, zappers +neodymium etc
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 PM
ModeratedUser30082018
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daleburr
99% of racers who were around in the brushed days would disagree. Brushless is the best thing to have happened to RC racing (closely followed by Lipo batteries).

Brushless is faster, cheaper, has near-zero maintanance, and is more tunable (if you race a boosted class).
mate... I think you've missed the point. LOL

I just had a chat at my LHS. Picked up some brushes, springs etc etc and a fancy new 10T motor They didn't have any graphite brushes though Plenty of fancy extra hard silver ones though. Which begs the question... why didn't they make the comms out of silver. Maybe I should electroplate my comms? I suppose that would help them last longer?

He suggested that comm drops would only accelerate comm wear and are marginally pointless for races longer than 3 minutes. He suggested just running them dry.

We also spoke about break ins as well. He only broke them in dry on his car. He said that the water method was only for motors without ball bearings and was only to break in the bushes. Any truth to this?

I'm still no closer to finding a magneto charger either (magnet zapper)