R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM
MattDub
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello Jmcelroy42,
I might have missed it but what are the dimensions of the track you run on? 17t on the .3 and 15 on the .4 is quite low gearing. Meaning it should be running this gearing on a very small track. If you are running on a larger track, we recommend going to a larger pinion as 4 pole motors can generate excessive heat if the RPMs are too high. We pretty much run 16 or 17 on all tracks with a T8 1900.

Also, a T8i might not be the best motor if you are running into heat issues. you might need to be using a T8.

Another issue could be the motor is old. Over time the magnets lose their strength causing you to push the motor harder, generating more heat.

165 degrees F is not excessively hot and you should be fine as long as temps do not go over 200 too regularly. I've seen Tekins go up to 300 and still be fine.

Originally Posted by jmcelroy42
I was using a 17t pinion on my .3 and dropped to a 15t on my .4 and my temps were a bit out of control 160deg with a heatsink and a fan on it.
My motor is a T8i 1950kv. Hoping I can fit a 14t, it should bring the FDR back to the same as my .3 was.
This got me to thinking, what is the benefit of the new ring/pinion ratio if I am gearing it to the same FDR anyway? thanks.

Edit: Also I noticed the new body fits a lot tighter around the front and back. so there is less air getting into and out of the car, this may be a big factor in my motor temps.