R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 06:58 PM
4roller
Tech Addict

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like some worth while mods to make this chassis keep up with the newer cars.

I don't have any intention of entering into any TCS races, so chassis mods are on the table.

As for now, I can fit a hardcase lipo into the battery tray without modification. It is however sitting a couple millimeters higher than it should. And I can't use the battery strap. I can get in there with a dremel but it's gonna be messy. That will happen later if I find the center of gravity too high.

Also whos bright idea was it to have users hack off a tab on their (possibly expensive) servo to get it to fit? I instead took the dremel to the chassis to get a servo to fit. This however may have compromised some of the built in center channel stiffnesses. I already have an idea to create a small T-shaped top plate stiffener out of sheet metal or scrap plastic to reduce flex in the area I cut out.

I have yet to receive my servo blocks, so we'll see how this chassis performs out of the box before dropping too much money into this car.

Originally Posted by niznai
I think your most immediate problem is to get the battery bed in the chassis milled out so you can use some decent square Lipos, otherwise you're limited in choice. I guess it won't make much difference for a silvercan, but I wouldn't like to waste my money buying specific battery packs for just one car.

I would also look immediately into getting some gear diffs going and a front one-way (this one is going to be difficult to find). The rear gear diff is easy, just use the Tamiya casings (can't remember what model fits). If you have to resort to a diff pulley with a different tooth count (like the TRF419 or the TA06) you'll have to get some different length belts. Which is not a problem, Xray have all the belts you may need in one tooth increments. You might also like to change the internal ratio and go to 18 tooth centre pulleys to keep pinion size down.

I have a fully upgraded TA05R and I found that some of the alloy/carbon parts are actually heavier, so when I was running the car in stock I went back and replaced all the heavy parts with kit parts to minimise weight, as the car is by default on the piggy side.

I did keep the alloy bulkheads and suspension blocks, and a few other bits and pieces just because plastics are annoying in some places where you work frequently and also want some precision and repeatability for your setup.

Otherwise, a much more durable car than the TRF equivalents and rather competitive for what it is.