R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Info on 13 year old HPI value
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 PM
MOmo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UnarmedCrayon
Thankyou for the replies. Part of me wants to hang onto it, and if it is not worth much, I will do that. I was hoping to cover the cost of one sct kit with the sale. I would never expect to get what I have in it back out. That was all money well spent on countless evenings of fun. Used to have 1-2 nights a week with 5-15 people in attendance just to bash / impromptu races.

I have a pic I was going to post, but that requires a link I'm not yet allowed to post. Hmmm... guess I'll put it up after some time.

I remember those when they came out. I too have been into this for a LOOOOONG time and still have my first RC (Which I will NEVER SELL) but there are some things to consider.

-Like any old car, are parts still available and to what extent would you likely drive it, OR would it be a Mantle piece?

-Is this capable of racing in any local events (does the local club still run Sedan, let alone, Nitro Sedan?) in its current state?

-Local Craigslist or even hobbyshops often have consignment or local FS ads, and you may be able to pick up a slightly used (hopefully not abused) RC. Possibly even an RTR setup or a Pkg deal from a racer looking for the latest and greatest. Just because its the prev. version, doesn't mean you can't use it to get your skills back and have fun, while working back into a groove of 1k into another car. Pace yourself.

-Understand the value of a nitro car might not be as High as you might hope, and understand the buyer is all sales final. Prove it runs, make sure they understand whats involved and be done. (I had a nitro car sell on Ebay with close to $100 in NIP Parts, and still barely got $125 from it and at that it felt like a giveaway.)

Nitro (as a whole) has been on the decline, except in some cases. The efficiency of BL and Lipo are so beyond the old Nimh and Nitro. Cleaner, longer run times, quieter, less maintenance. etc.

From a nostalgia standpoint, might be worth putting it on the mantle, but I can totally sympathize with the whole "RC Funds come from RC" aspect.

MOmo