R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec racing ....
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 PM
jlfx car audio
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
I actually don't mind stock racing the way it is now. And I am particularly happy about VTA opening up motor rules to ROAR certified because I hated using the Novak motors.

Handout motors is an okay idea but its not the end all. There are still variations from one motor to another no matter who makes them, so there will always be a faster motor. I have seen off the shelf motors run right along side a certified motor of the same brand/model. I have also seen guys running the best of the best still not win against a guy running cheap off the shelf products.

I also think that limiting traction will also be detrimental to participation. I just went to the track the other day to do some testing and set up. My 17.5 car was so bad I didnt even want to drive it. I made changes, it got a little better but had that been a race night I would have just run my VTA and my 12th scale and would not have touched the TC. I wanted to run USGT really bad because I really liked the idea of the class. A little slower, scale looking bodies. But the USGT tires absolutely SUCK. The foams are terrible. I will not run the class. I feel as though I would only get one or two race nights out of a set of tires/foams. 2 out of 4 of my USGT tires have the foams all bunched up on one side of the tire. They were bought premounted.

I don't know the answers, but I will say if the class bothers you that much then run modified. All of my favorite classes are spec classes. I dont cry about being beat by special hand built motors. If I didnt want to be outmotored I would run a class where I can just motor up.
In the beginning of your rant ,opinion you hit on something . The differences between the exact same run of motors. Yes there are differences but just like you said most time it doesn't matter . If your not one of the 15 drivers up front you wouldn't be able to get the benefit of it anyways . It's more about piece of mind and confidence... I've played this game many time but just recently figured it out . Lol a 150 motor of brand X isn't any faster than the $95 twice gone thru brand X motor 26 of 27 laps... Driver has way too any flaws to make use of the extra 14w .
As for the gt tires they could be better but they are mostly warn from bad setups ... It took me a while to get them to preform without failing but we have had over 2hrs of actual race time on 2 sets of tires and only 1 of the 8 are getting soft . But I will say they do seem to last longer on our AMX cars more so then the xray cars . But that's a setup thing I'm sure .