R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Callaway
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJPod
I agree, I seen it at our carpet track. Now I am way back in the pack since I am one of the few remaining with a standup transmission.

Maybe I am too stingy, but I still do not consider $180 an economical option for me. For now I am considering other options...

Does anyone know if there are any 3D printable lay-down transmissions? I know there are some for the B5 on shapeways, but couldn't find any for the 22 3.0. If not, I am going to try to design my own lay-down transmission that can be 3D printed at an economical price.

I like your acronym VDT, I also thought it would be cool to have a transmission that could "transform" from a lay-down to a stand-up to make it a bit easier to go from carpet to loose dirt.
Honestly, if you are running carpet, I really recommend the laydown. I know it's steep, but you do get a lot for your money and the original ("carpet") laydown kits will be gone soon. But if that's just too much for you, then I'd go with the Exotek unless you are really just into making your own stuff. The Exotek is significantly cheaper. In the end though, I don't think you'll be able to come up with something that works as well as the TLR laydown, though you may get close. It's all about whether you would rather pay and play now, or enjoy the challenge of doing your own thing and getting reward out of that!