R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck
Old 12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
motoj550
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
So my Cutback is running nicely again. I wrestled a lot with which ESC to get to replace the stock one that went up in flames. I went with the Hobbywing EZRUN WP 80A. I think it would have fit up front where the stock one was located but at least for now, I mounted it on top of the RX box. It works great but there are two "head scratchers". This ESC is the first ESC I have worked with that doesn't make some beeps or have an LED display that tells you it is on and armed. There is an LED but it is pretty much on the bottom so when you mount it, its becomes hard to see. In normal operation, the LED doesn't come on until there is some throttle signal. When you throw the switch, the fan comes on but that is about it. Reverse now works every time.

I bought the new ESC on Amazon because I could (supposedly) get it in one day. However, it didn't come in one day and I am pretty sure they sent me a used unit. They did refund my one-day shipping cost and I am sure i could have returned it to get a brand new one but it did work and I didn't want to hassle with the return. Just a caution for others.

I don't think there was really anything wrong with the stock RX/TX but i wanted a more adjustable TX (like with expo) so I have switched out to a Spektkrum DX4S and the AVC RX that comes with it. AVC is fun to play with.

It is disconcerting that Tower has apparently decided to discontinue the Cutback. A number of folks in my flying club have bought this truck. I hope Tower at least makes parts for a while. I wonder what an equivalent truck would be that isn't going away anytime soon: 4WD, brushless, and <$250.

I have been reading up on other possibilities and I have my eye on the Losi TEN-SCBE or SCTE. They look really nice, have great reviews, but more like $500. I think $250 is a good price point for someone that just wants to try RC trucks but I don't know what to suggest in lieu of the Cutback.
another one that iv'e been checking out is the Hobao sc10, everyone sayin' it's pretty good, i'm getting ready to get the Hobao 10tt truggy great reviews on it and it uses same parts as the hobao 10sc. but that's only if you can't get parts for it, my cutback is working awesome on are indoor clay track, people can't beleive it when they find out it's a tower hobbies cutback. but i've got enought parts to last me a couple race seasons at least.