R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Politics of R/C Racing
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Josh Cyrul
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bobby has made a very definate point that I think everyone needs to recognize - Running in the mod class takes more set-up knowledge and car control. I think a big problem is that a class like 19t has not been utilized as a stepping stone and jumping from stock to mod is a HUGE step and in most cases is very difficult to adjust to. If a "stock" racer tries to run mod and struggles, they usually say screw this and return to stock as it is difficult to go from winning races to being bounced around in the D-B mains in mod. The "Pro" drivers need to be shuffled out of 19T and the drivers like Smyka, Cuffs, Lopez can work on their skills in a faster environment to take on the "Pro" drivers.

In terms of 19T rules I think the oval 19T rules would help the class be even more as people who compete in in would be using modified teardowns that they can easily throw a mod arm in and practice or race on a club level. The current standard makes everyone buy different motors for 19T and mod......

Toso - Great job at the Nats!!

xxxkat - I understand that but there shouldn't be a paid salary or bonus $$ for what I consider a "Semi-Pro" to run the stock class at these events. Club racing is a different story but maybe if things were changed as far as the layout of these large events, with rules in place with a form of ranking system then maybe more people would be challenged to move up through the ranks and race 19T and mod....

We just don't have a strong foundation to help new or younger drivers to work up through levels of competition so that the jump isn't so huge to run on a Pro level. Until we realize this and do something about it we are going to see the same trend we saw at the last Worlds.....