R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - opinion on it the TRF101 is still competitive compared to 2016 cars?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Tamabuchi Corp
Tech Initiate

I race with a mixed group on different car park surfaces in my area. 6cars im total. Timing gear.

Half way through a 10 race 'season' one of the guys got a trf101 and won 3/4 of the last 4 races and got a 2nd place.

One of the other guys switched to an xray 16 spec also half way through the season, He didn't win a race but set fastest laps. Interestingly his 'old car' was a trf101..

So I guess in the right hands its a great car.. the X-ray also looked fast, probably faster when the guy finds his set up etc..

We race in various weather and conditions and that has the greatest bearing on traction.. We have to use literally all the different manufacturer tyre compounds through the year..

On an indoor track with stable conditions I suspect the X-ray would have the edge on the trf101.

As a side note 2 of the other cars are modified 104s 1 was a Roche rapid 104 upgrade and the other was a vbc fx.

The biggest advantage I see between Tamiya cars and the other high end chassis is that the high enders have tremendous cornering ability over the Tamiyas but stay planted on corner exit..

You have to get very crafty with Tamiya front ends to get near the X-ray just out of the box.. and I suspect official racing events would be against some of the things I've seen done!

Last edited by Tamabuchi Corp; 11-29-2016 at 02:22 PM.