R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Vision Racing Products (VRP)
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

For the b6, a vrp washer still goes on top of the piston before the screw, correct? This is in addition to the kit washer beneath...Thx
Originally Posted by johnel48
I race an AE B6. I recently returned to electric RC offroad racing. My last 1/10th scale race car was a Losi XXX.

I have full sets of VRP pistons (4 of each size) from 2 hole 1.5 to 1.7 and recently purchased 3 hole 1.3 and 1.4. All were purchased from the Amain Hobbies website.

From some of the preceding posts there seems to be confusion as to which pistons fit what cars. The confusion is really in the shaft being used and the descriptions and compatibility listings of the pistons on the various websites that sell them.

Prior to the B6D and B6 the shock shafts are 3mm shafts with e-clips to retain the piston on the shaft. The B6D and B6 are 3mm shafts machined at the piston end to 2.5mm and uses a 2.5mm x 6mm steel flat washer (not to be confused with the VRP1/10XV2 washer) and a 2M x 4mm button head screw to retain the piston to the shaft.

VRP has two distinct part numbers for their pistons that fit these two different shock shafts.

The VRP pistons that fit the 3mm e-clip shafts (AE B5 models and earlier) have part numbers like VRP2H1.5.

The VRP pistons that fit the 3mm x 2.5mm shafts (AE B6 and B6D) have part numbers like VRP2H1.5V2.

If you go to the Amain Hobbies website and look at the compatibility listings for either model piston the B5 and earlier and the B6 are listed whether the part number has a V2 appended to it or not. So, it is very easy to order the wrong part and find out the hole is either too small and ream it, or the hole is too big and the piston is moving all over the place on the shaft, neither of which is the fix to the problem because of the different thickness and retaining hardware required.

VRP please review the compatibility lists at the large online retailers that sell your products and make sure that it is easy to select the right parts for your customer’s car. Maybe mentioning the size of the hole in the piston is all that would be required for most of us.

VRP pistons are high quality racing pistons. They are the closest you can get to 2-stage pistons at this scale. You will feel the difference. Once you get the oil viscosity figured out you will have a race car that comes off of large jumps that settles quickly and increased traction in the bumpy sectionsfrom the quick rebound.

Last edited by JAE; 11-19-2016 at 01:30 AM.