R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:25 AM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Churn is bad. So is a lack up new player uptake.

Suddenly i'm interested in how often new people show up to tracks. While churn is bad, "low new signups" is worse. HAM is dieing due to this. Paintball survives based on a new player fast progression system. A typical player is in, and either is out, or has become someone like me, in 4 years.
Lack of uptake is definitely a problem, but it's very hard to address. If you just lower the entry costs without some introductory program, they're likely to churn very quickly. I've seen a guy years ago give a complete RTR setup to a beginner, for free, who only showed up to a couple of meets before giving up. He didn't realise how difficult it was to learn to drive fast, and there weren't many others at his skill level to compete against.

I only started racing again this year after a long hiatus, and at my local track I think I've only seen a couple of new faces. None of them have stuck around.