R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Nerobro
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Trying to get the cost down in RC with 1/18 vehicles is like trying to start a flag football league where touchdowns are worth 15 points. Or like starting a basketball league where the rims are hula hoops and a basket is worth 7 points. It creates an artificial reality. *snip* This is why Xbox is so popular.
My first instinct is to just say you're wrong and move on. There have been a lot of good arguments put up in this thread, and a lot of good ideas. You seem to have missed them all.

You've said nothing about why 1/18 is any different from running 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, or 1/5 scale. The "value" of a score, has no relation to it's usefulness as a scoring system. It could be 100points. If each score is 100 points, it's just what it is. It's only as artificial as the fact that the road is carpet, and made of pvc walls. If you're going to use analogies, make them good.

A 1/18th scale car, has no relation to the fact it's a (I'm going to use a word here you're likely to interpret) competent car, that listens to the drivers inputs, and can be driven around a course.

I have 1/36, 1/28, 1/24, and 1/14 scale stuff in my collection. I'd be happy to race all of them in a group, so long as I had someone to race with. Some of them are even pretty quick. A modified 130 size motor in a 1/28 scale car makes for a very exciting drive. .... One that was fun on a 1/10 scale track, until I got to the back stretch. "It's 1/18th so it's crap" is just a silly argument.

Being smaller and lighter, 1/18th has the advantage of less mass. That makes them less likely to break at the driving of ham fisted noobs. I "very nearly" can't break my 1/24 SCT. This is why miniquads became so popular, and why things like the TinyWhoop have gone bonkers in the market. Being smaller, also means people are more likely to find decent places to run them that's ~not~ the track.

Playing against pros in a team sport, is, in fact, a lot of fun. And not a rude awakening. It's something I've done as a paintball player. I can't see how that analogy has anything to do with racing. But.. since we're on that tack, I've done individual sports, with high level ameaturs (AKA, playing was zero cost for them.) as well. At the velodrome, on bicycles. It's awe inspiring to watch a guy crank up to 1500 watts and accelerate like you're standing still at 17mph. Being out there with the better people helped me. If your kid isn't prepared to be new at something, and is going to be hurt by losing, that's a failure of the parent. Then again, there's a lot of adults who can't handle it. That's not a problem of the format. You really latched onto this being about kids, this is about "being able to get someone in the door" and get them that first taste of racing.

While people might not take powerwheels to the gokart track, there is a power wheels racing series, and it's ~quite serious~ racing. http://www.powerracingseries.org/ It was birthed at my local hackerspace a few years ago, and it's grown to a national series. And the carts are cheaper than a good touring car.

The Slash seems reasonable. The TT02, isn't, at least at the retail level. And I am ~also~ concerned about the local shops getting money to keep going. That's important to me. It should be important to you too.

You seem to have some real issues with people and money. Even the people I know who can drop $2000 and not feel it, won't throw $600 to "see if they like" something.

Discounting gamers wanting to improve, is just ignorance. Some of the most dedicated nutjobs i know, are gamers. You don't get insane fast twitch skills without practice. Thinking that they're "just winners right away" shows you've got almost no idea what goes on in gaming.

--------------------------------------

So.. Good arguments:

#1. Cheap, box stock racing has been done before, and it died off. (This is one I'd like to explore more.)

#2. There are some "ok" options, they just aren't on-road.

#3. M05

#4. Stuff that isn't 1/10 scale.

Is what I want realistic? Eh, maybe not. But I thought I might ask the people who'd know better.