R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Thunder Trail
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by floyd2810
thunder trail i'm right where you are with testing.

i finally get to race this truck outdoors again this weekend.
i'm back to the kit set up, with new rr red springs and purple fr springs.
esc is as far forward as it will go. will play with the battery moving back.
also i have the motor straight. i have only ran it with the motor angled.
it should be pretty good and hold the set-up for the whole race day now.
That's good, testing with good parts is a must. I have plans for all day testing Sunday myself. May have to start testing with 2.0 suspension.

I am disappointed to report what I have received in my new front spring package yesterday. Last night I went straight for the Purple springs and installed them. Then I was looking over the other springs and noticed I have a spring with brown and purple paint. Brown painted over the purple with 1/4 of the purple exposed or the brown flaked off it. Kinda threw my tools up in the air and walked away.

Advertised spring rates with color and rate should be on the package.... not
Purple 4.4 lbs./in

Brown 4.7 lbs./in

Light Blue 5.0 lbs./in

So I had some ice cream, my fix, and too much of it lately. Then I decided to test them all. I set up my gram scale with two fixed points on either side and a ruler across the top to compress the springs. The questionable BROWN/PURPLE spring is even softer than the Purple springs. What the hell is going on with these spring issues? Another Ice Scream break

The Blue springs are nearly perfect as they all should be. The two springs with only Purple paint are not exactly the same, off about 15 grams. That might be as good as it gets. I spent a long time measuring the Brown and Brown/Purple spring and comparing them with others. I also checked wire thickness and they all are about the same diameter. Coil count seems random. Having two springs of same color with same coil count seems to be part of the problem.

I'm frustrated. There was a time when you opened a bag of Losi parts, springs included, and never questioned the quality. Things have changed globally and this may be the result. This might be consider whining by some people, but that is not how I want anyone to look at it. I much rather the TLR guys take this info and fix the problem and keep us informed of said fix. I don't know if that ever happens. I always respect efforts to fix things and make them right and I'm sure others do as well. Having one spring issue can be overlooked, but having multiple spring issues is not OK.

After all these spring problems I plan to test my tuning springs for my 2.0. Then I will look into some AE, Avid or Kyosho springs for my 3.0. That should not be necessary, but I have grown tired of beating my head against the same wall expecting a different or better result.

Originally Posted by cutting42
Agreed. I switched to AE springs as I run them on my 22 as well and they have been very consistent. I still have mismatched spring cups but not a problem with the AE springs.
Please share part numbers, rates and what you like in the AE selection.

If anyone has recommendations for alternative springs please share.