R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 07:23 PM
KOULLIT
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Why you should not use the Long Ackerman Plate ?

Hi,

I lost many time to find why I can't place the steering servo on my prototype, and why I have always bad results :

The answer is : there is a problem why the Losi 8ight Long Ackerman Plate.
I let you some 2d draws, then every designer can try this.

This is a first draw with the servo saver parts, and the 69mm ( long ) ackerman plate.
The 21mm dimension is the LOSA4406, so we want to test with, for example, 30° in clockwise , and too, in anti clockwise, to compare.

This is the draw you can copy for testing :

So, I can test now with 30° clockwise, to turn at the left :

The same thing, but anti clokwise, to turn at the right :

You have seen different results, and it's normal.
If you want the same result with the wheels when you turn at the right or at the left, you will need to "travel" 30° and 24,347°.

These are two draws with an optional LOSA4406, on the left servo saver side, here you can see the differences :

So, if you use the long Ackerman plate, your wheels will not turn at the same angle on each side.
With the long Ackerman plate, the Losi turns better in the left turns compare to right turns !

A big error from Losi, like the problem with the short ackerman plate, because you need a dremel to use it in a reliable way for you steering servo !
Of course, the problem is exactly the same with Agama, Serpent, JQ, RB, Durango... all the systems with different measures between the Akcerman plate holes, and the servo saver posts.

Bye !

(Excuse me for my poor English)
The French designer

Last edited by KOULLIT; 10-25-2016 at 09:55 PM.